A fruit juice bar, or fruit juice shop is a small, informal restaurant where juice and in most cases, smoothies are made and served to customers. Fruit juice is ideally 100 percent pure juice made from the flesh of fresh fruit or from whole fruit, depending on the type used. It is not permitted to add sugars, sweeteners, preservatives, flavorings, or colorings to fruit juice.
The most recent report available online shows that the number of businesses in the fruit juice sector in the United States was 5,124 in 2020, down from the previous year’s total of 5,224. In 2022, employment in this sector was forecast to reach 5,255. There are 5,373 Fruit juice businesses in the US as of 2022, an increase of 1.9% from 2022.
The global fruit juice and smoothies market is projected to register a CAGR of 7.2% during the forecast period, 2020 – 2025. The rising health consciousness among consumers and increasing demand for convenience and value are driving the demand for fruit juice and smoothies.
Steps on How to Start a Fruit Juice Business
Table of Content
Conduct Market Research
Conducting market research before starting any business is key to the success of the business hence you must not open a fruit juice bar without conducting market research. This is because Market research provides critical information about your market and your business landscape.
It can tell you how your business is perceived by the customers and clients you want to reach. It can help you determine who and where your customers are, and which customers are most likely to do business with you.
a. Who is the Target Market for Fruit Juice Bar Business?
- Hard-core fitness fanatics or dieters
- Sportsmen and women
- Corporate executives
- Military men and women
- Every adult and child in the neighborhood where your fruit juice bar will be located.
b. Is Fruit Juice Bar a Profitable Business?
Yes, the fruit juice bar business is very profitable. The fruit juice market in the United States is estimated at US$5.5 Billion in the year 2020.
c. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
Yes, there are existing niches when it comes to fruit juice bars, and here are some of them;
- Brick and mortar fruit juice bar (sit-down fruit juice bar)
- Drive through fruit juice bar
- Kiosk fruit juice bar
- The Grab-and-Go fruit juice bar
- Mobile fruit juice bar (fruit juice carts or trucks)
d. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Beverly Hills Juice, Beverly Hills
- Glow Bio, Los Angeles
- Pressed Juicery, Southern California
- Thrive Juicery, San Francisco
- Juice Shop, San Francisco
- Blue Print Cleanse, New York City
- Juice Press, New York City
- Melvin’s Juice Box, New York City
- Jugos, Boston
- Peeled Juice Bar
- Drought, Detroit
- Purée Juice Bar, Washington, D.C.
- JugoFresh, Miami
- Juice Nashville, Nashville
- Dtox Juice, Atlanta
- JuiceLand, Austin
- Juicd Life, Phoenix
- Sip, Portland, Oregon
- Evolution Fresh, Seattle
- The GEM, Dallas.
e. Are There County or State Regulations or Zoning Laws for Fruit Juice Bar Business?
Yes, there are county and state regulations and zoning laws for fruit juice bars in the United States. Please note that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) sets the federal Food Code, but it doesn’t oversee individual fruit juice bars. Instead, the various states use the Food Code as the basis for their own food codes. They may adopt its rules, interpret them differently or set their own rules.
Please note that in the United States, you are required to follow your state’s food service code. Visit the FDA website for a list of food service codes by state. Use this to find the state authority handling restaurants and bars and view the laws that apply in your state.
f. Is There a Franchise for Fruit Juice Bar Business?
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for fruit juice bars. Here are some of them;
- Jamba Juice
- Juice It Up!
- Souper Juice
- Booster Juice
- Surf City Squeeze
- Robeks Fresh Juices & Smoothies
- Froots fresh juice, smoothies, salads, and wraps bar
- Nekter Juice Bar Inc.
- Bluetree Juice
- I Love Juice Bar
- Liquid Nutrition
- Clean Juice.
g. What Do You Need to Start a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
- A Feasibility Report
- Business and Marketing Plans
- Business Licenses and Permits
- A Good Shop facility
- EIN (Employer Identification Number)/Federal Tax ID Number.
- A Corporate Bank Account
- Ingredient supply (fruit, vegetables, milk et al)
- Startup Capital
Fruit Juice Shop Business Names
- The Trios© Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Green Life® Fruit Juice Bar, LLC
- Tree Top© Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Fruit Solutions® Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Michaël Grey™ Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- All Girls™ Fruit Juice Bar, LLC.
- Go Green© Fruit Juice Bar, LLC
- Fruit Life© Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Taste Buds© Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Happy Land® Fruit Juice Bar, LLC
- Cynthia McFerran® Fruit Juice Bar, LLC
- Pan United™ Fruit Juice Bar, LLC
- Miera Jones© Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- De Juice Prince® Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Sugar Free™ Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Brown Bowl™ Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Fruit Zone© Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
- Organic Team® Fruit Juice Bar, LLC
- Mecléé Morgan™ Fruit Juice Bar, Inc.
Register Your Business
a. What Type of Business Structure is Best for Fruit Juice Bar?
The truth is that you have several options when it comes to the business structure of a fruit juice bar, but the one that most players in this line of business consider is an LLC. It is common to consider an LLC because providers want to protect themselves from lawsuits. Please note that an LLC will need an EIN if it has employees or if it will be required to file any of the excise tax forms listed below.
b. Steps to Form an LLC
- Choose a Name for Your LLC.
- File Articles of Organization.
- Choose a registered agent.
- Decide on member vs. manager management.
- Create an LLC operating agreement.
- Comply with other tax and regulatory requirements.
- File annual reports.
c. What Type of License is Needed to Open a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
- General Business License
- Health and Safety Permit
- Food and Drinks Handlers’ License
- Zonal Permits
- Signage Permit
- Operational State Facility Inspections
- A music license if you want to play recorded, or streaming music in your bar
- A dumpster placement permit that specifies where you can put your dumpster outside your bar
d. What Type of Certification is Needed to Open a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
You don’t need any certifications to open a fruit juice bar business.
e. What Documents are Needed to Open a Fruit juice bar Business?
- Business and liability insurance
- Federal Tax Payer’s ID
- State Permit and Building Approval
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Business License
- Business Plan
- Employment Agreement (offer letters)
- Operating Agreement for LLCs
- Insurance Policy
- Contract Document
- Company Bylaws
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
f. Do You Need a Trademark, Copyright, or Patent?
If you are considering opening a fruit juice bar business, usually you may not have any need to file for intellectual property protection or trademark. This is because the nature of the business makes it possible for you to successfully run it without having any cause to challenge anybody in court for illegally making use of your company’s intellectual properties.
Cost Analysis and Budgeting
a. How Much Does It Cost to Start a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
A sit-down fruit juice bar typically costs between $200,000 and $375,000 to set up. A large drive-through fruit juice shop can cost between $80,000 and $200,000. A small kiosk fruit juice bar may cost between $25,000 and $75,000. A franchised sit-down fruit juice bar can cost up to $673,700.
b. What are the Costs Involved in Starting a Fruit Juice Bar
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – is $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services totaling – $1,200.
- Marketing promotion expenses (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $80.
- The cost for hiring a business consultant (writing of business plans inclusive) – is $2,500.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation, and property-casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- The cost of accounting software, CRM software, and payroll software – $1,500
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square foot in the total amount of – $35,600.
- The cost for shop / facility remodeling – $25,000.
- Phone and utility deposits will cost – ($2,500)
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $30,000
- The cost for start-up inventory – $16,027
- Storage hardware (bins, utensil rack, shelves, glass case) – $3,720
- The cost for counter area equipment (Juicer, blender, countertop, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $6,000
- The cost for serving area equipment (glasses, flatware) – $3,000
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $3,150
- The cost for the purchase of office furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $8,000.
- The cost of launching an official website – $600
- The cost for our grand opening party – $3,000
- Miscellaneous – $2,500
c. What Factors Determine the Cost of Opening a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
- The size of the fruit juice bar
- The choice of location
- The required licenses and permits
- The type of facility
- The type of fruit juice and related products (smoothie, acai bowl et al) retailed in the shop and additional service offerings
- The cost of hiring and paying a business consultant and attorney
- The cost for branding, promotion, and marketing of the fruit juice bar business
- The cost for furnishing and equipping the facility
- The cost of insurance policy covers
- The cost for registering the business
- Source of your supplies and ongoing expenses
- Cost of recruiting and training your staff
- The cost for the purchase and customizing of uniforms
- The cost for the grand opening of the fruit juice bar business
d. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
It is not obligatory to build a new facility for your fruit juice bar, but if you have the required finance, it will pay you to build your own facility. The truth is that building or reconstructing a facility will help you come up with a facility that will perfectly fit into your overall business goals and vision.
e. What are the Ongoing Expenses of a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
- Ingredient supply (fruit, vegetables, toppings, ice, disposable cups, and straws)
- Utility bills (internet subscriptions, phone bills, signage and software renewal fees et al)
- Salaries of employees
f. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Shop Manager (Owner) – $45,000 Per Year
- Accountant – $30,630,000 Per Year
- Juice Makers and Servers – $27,100 Per Year
- Cleaners – $25,000 Per Year
- Security Guard -$24,000 Per Year
g. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Raising money from investors and business partners
- Sell shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Source for soft loans from your family members and friends.
a. Executive Summary
Fruit Solutions® Fruit Juice Bar, Inc. is a neighborhood fruit juice bar business that will be located in a fast-growing health-conscious community in Silver Spring, Maryland. We have been able to secure a one-year lease of a vacant shop within the city’s largest shopping mall. The facility has an option of renewal for 5 years at a rate that is favorable to us.
b. Products and Service
- Different types and flavors of fresh fruit juice.
- Different types and flavors of smoothies
c. Mission Statement
Our mission is to establish a fruit juice bar that will make available different types and flavors of fruit juice at every given time to our highly esteemed customers.
Our vision is to establish a standard and world-class fruit juice bar business in Silver Spring, Maryland that will be the leader in the juice and smoothies industry in the State.
d. Goals and Objectives
The goals and objectives of a fruit juice bar business are to provide a retail outlet where patrons can go to buy and drink different types and flavors of fresh fruit juice.
e. Organizational Structure
- Shop Manager (Owner)
- Juice Makers and Servers
- Security Guard
a. SWOT Analysis
- Ideal location for a fruit juice bar business
- Highly experienced and qualified employees and management
- Access to fresh organic fruits and other ingredients
- Availability of different types and flavors of fruit juice.
- A reliable, clean, healthy, and efficient method of preparing fruit juice.
- Financial constraints may restrict the publicity and branding of the business
- Our new business that will be competing with well-established fruit juice bars and smoothie franchises in the city.
- Inability to retain our highly experienced employees longer than we want during the teething stage of the business.
- A rise in the number of people who want to live healthier lives free from sicknesses and this includes hard-core fitness fanatics or dieters
- Online market, new services, new technology, and of course the opening of new markets.
- The arrival of new fruit juice bar within our market space
- Steady wage expenses
- Economic uncertainty
- Liability problems
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) could change its regulatory status and decide to enforce strict regulations that can strangulate new businesses like ours.
b. How Do Fruit juice bars Make Money?
Fruit juice bars make money by selling;
- Different types and flavors of fresh fruit juice
- Different types and flavors of smoothies.
c. Payment Options
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via mobile money transfer
d. Sales & Advertising Strategies
- Introduce your fruit juice bar business by sending introductory letters alongside your brochure to households, sports organizations, gyms, schools, socialites, celebrities, and other key stakeholders throughout the city where your fruit juice bar business is located.
- Advertise on the internet on blogs and forums, and also on social media like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn to get your message across
- Create a basic website for your business so as to give your business an online presence
- Directly market your products.
- Engage in roadshows in targeted communities from time to time to promote your fruit juice bar
- Join local fruit juice bar associations for industry trends and tips
- Provide discount days for your customers
- Advertise your business in community-based newspapers, local TV and radio stations
- List your business on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Encourage the use of word-of-mouth marketing (referrals)
a. How Much Should You Charge for your Product/Service?
The average price for a fresh fruit juice is typically around $5 for a small cup and $7 for a large cup. Fruit and yogurt bowls typically sell for around the same prices depending on the size.
b. How Much Profit Do Fruit Juice Bar Owners Make a Year?
It depends, but available reports show that on average a small to medium-sized fruit juice bar can earn anywhere from $60,000 to $160,000 for the shop owner.
c. What Factors Determine the Amount of Profit to Be Made?
- The capacity of the fruit juice bar
- The types and flavors of fresh fruit juice and other products retailed in the shop
- The location of the fruit juice bar is covering
- The management style of the fruit juice bar
- The business approach of the fruit juice bar
- The advertising and marketing strategies adopted by the fruit juice bar.
- The number of years the fruit juice bar business is in business
d. What is the Profit Margin of a Fruit Juice Bar Product/Service?
The profit margins for fruit bars are dependent on which fruit (organic or nonorganic) you use when making your juice. The healthiest, freshest ingredients are the most expensive. Therefore, stores that use fresh ingredients can expect to have food costs that are as much as 50 percent of their expenses, netting them approximately a 40 percent gross margin.
e. What is the Sales Forecast?
Below is the sales forecast for a fruit juice bar. It is based on the location of the business and other factors as it relates to such startups in the United States;
- First Fiscal Year: $320,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $450,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $540,000
Set Up your Shop
a. How Do You Choose a Perfect Location for Fruit Juice Bar?
- The demography of the location especially as it relates to fitness fanatics or dieters
- The demand for the fresh fruit juices and related fruit drinks offered by fruit juice bars in the location
- The purchasing power of businesses and residents of the location
- Accessibility of the location
- The number of fruit juice bars in the location
- The local laws and regulations in the community/state
- Traffic, parking and security et al
b. What State and City are Best to Open a Fruit Juice Bar?
- Silver Spring, Maryland
- Rowland Heights, California
- Portland, Oregon
- Green Bay, Wisconsin
- New York City, New York
- Tallahassee, Florida
- Dallas, Texas
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Los Angeles, California
- Rio Rancho, New Mexico
c. What Equipment is Needed to Operate a Fruit Juice Bar?
- Prep tools
- Cutting boards
- Storage shelves
- Storage containers
- Disposable cups and straws
- Receipt issuing machine and POS.
When it comes to hiring employees for a standard fruit juice bar, you should make plans to hire a competent shop manager (you can occupy this position), account clerk, juice makers, and servers, cleaners, and security guard.
Launch the Business Proper
In recent times, no fruit juice bar opens its door for business without first organizing an opening party to officially launch the business. You can choose to do a soft opening if you are operating on a low budget or you can go for a grand opening party.
The bottom line is that with a proper launching of the fruit juice bar, you will be able to officially inform people in your city that your fruit juice bar is open for business.
a. What Makes a Fruit Juice Bar Business Successful?
- Choose a good location and shop facility to launch the business
- Make sure your shop is stocked with different types of organic and non-organic fruits, vegetables, and toppings (give your customers options)
- Throw an open house grand party before officially opening the fruit juice bar
- Be deliberate with your marketing sales approach
- Encourage the use of word of mouth to promote your fruit juice bar business
- Leverage on all available online and offline platforms to promote your fruit juice bar business
b. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Fruit Juice Bar?
- The shop is open for the day’s work
- The serving areas, chairs, and tables are properly arranged
- Walk-in customers are attended to
- Deliveries of orders are made
- Stocks are taken and reports are written and submitted to superior officers
- The business is closed for the day.
c. What Skills and Experience Do You Need to Build a Fruit Juice Bar Business?
- Excellent customer services skills
- Interpersonal skill
- Accounting and bookkeeping skills
- Business management skills
- Bargaining skill
- Work experience in a restaurant or bar environment
- Experience in managing people
- Experience in business administration
- Experience in identifying and making different types of juices
- Experience in handling different types of blenders (juice making machines).