How much does it cost to open a tanning salon? You would need a minimum of $298,900 to open a tanning salon business on a medium scale in 2022.
The tanning salon industry includes companies that provide indoor tanning services through UV tanning beds and booths, as well as spray-on tanning services. Some operators in this industry are also involved in running complimentary services such as health spas, fitness centers, mobile tanning locations, beauty parlors, hair salons et al.
The tanning salon industry has grown as United States consumers have enough money for discretionary services such as tanning. The tanning salon industry is open to any aspiring entrepreneur who has the required training, skills, and perhaps professional certifications to start his or her own tanning salon business. Just ensure that your salon is located in an environment with the right demography and you will be fine.
The Estimated Cost of Opening a Tanning Salon
When it comes to opening a tanning salon the major areas you look towards spending the bulk of your cash are on renting or leasing a standard facility, and equipping the salon with the needed UV tanning equipment, computers and receipt issuing machines, sound system (For playing music), Point of Sale Machines (POS Machines), CCTV Cameras and Flat Screen TVs.
You are also expected to pay your employees and utility bills. These are the key areas where you are expected to spend your start-up capital;
- The total fee for registering a business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines, and other software) – $3,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of the tanning salon and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580.
- The total cost for hiring a business consultant including writing a business plan – $2,500.
- The total cost for the purchase of insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation, and property-casualty) coverage – $2,400.
- The cost for renting or leasing a space or warehouse that will be converted into a tanning salon – $80,000.
- Other start-up expenses include commercial satellite TV subscriptions, stationery ($500), and phone and utility deposits ($2,800).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $40,000
- The cost for start-up inventory (stocking with amino acid tyrosine to produce melanin and other related tanning supplies) – $15,000
- The cost for counter area equipment (countertop, receipt issuing machine, etc.) – $9,500
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $4,750
- The cost of purchase and installation of CCTVs: $2,000
- Equipping the tanning salon with (vertical solarium tanning bed/tanning machine/solarium device with 48pcs Germany UV lamp tubes, furniture (table, stools, and sofas), telephones, filing cabinets, and TV et al) will cost – $80,000
- The cost of launching a website: $600
- The cost for our opening party: $3,000
- Miscellaneous: $2,000
From the rough estimate above, you would need a minimum of two hundred and ninety – eight thousand nine hundred USD ($298,900) to establish a medium–scale but standard tanning salon business in any city in the United States of America.
Please note that this is a rough estimate and we usually advise our readers who are interested in opening a tanning salon to directly contact wholesalers and suppliers of the types of gadgets they want to have in their tanning salon to get the real-time prices of these items. The truth is that, if you are a good bargainer, you can get a better deal that will help you beat down the estimated price.
Factors That Will Influence the Cost of Opening a Tanning Salon Business
Table of Content
- The Type of Tanning Salon
- The Choice of Location
- The Required Licenses and Permits
- The Type of Facility
- Additional Services and Product Offerings
- 7. The Cost for Furnishing and Equipping the Tanning Salon
- 8. The Cost of Insurance
- 9. The Cost for Registering the Business
- 10. Source of Your Supplies and Ongoing Expenses
- 11. Cost of Recruiting and Training Your Staff
- 12. The Cost for the Purchase and Customizing of Uniforms
- 13. The Cost for Grand Opening of the Tanning Salon
The Type of Tanning Salon
A major factor that will determine the overall cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America is the type of tanning salon the owner of the business wants to start. You can open a brick-and-mortar salon or mobile tanning salon. The two have different cost implications when starting the business.
The Choice of Location
Another major factor that will determine the cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America is the location. In business, location is a key part of what determines the success of the business. There are business consultants cum realtors who are specialized in helping people choose an ideal location for their type of business; a location that will guarantee profitability within the shortest time frame.
Your choice of location for your tanning salon determines how successful your business may grow. The truth is that the location you choose to open your tanning salon determines if you will be issued the required licenses and permits. It is always preferable to comply with all the zoning and land use laws before you choose a location for your business or you stand the risk of having the business closed down.
The Required Licenses and Permits
In the United States of America, you cannot open a tanning salon without first applying for licenses and permits. You would need a Retail Seller Permit, Business Operation License, Doing Business as (DBA) License, building license, zonal permits, and signage permits amongst others. These license ad permits cost money and it will influence the overall cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America.
The Type of Facility
The type of facility you want to run your tanning salon business from is also a major factor that will determine the overall cost of opening a tanning salon business in the United States of America. You have the options of renting, leasing, or designing and constructing your tanning salon from the scratch.
With renting and leasing a facility, you may have to spend extra to modify the facility to fit into what you have in mind, but there is a limit to how far you can go and it will be dependent on what the landlord of the facility wants.
If you prefer to construct your tanning salon facility from the scratch, you will buy the land or property, and construct and equip the tanning salon facility to fit into what you have in mind. With that, you will agree that you are going to spend way more when compared to people that rent or lease a facility.
Additional Services and Product Offerings
Another key factor that will determine the cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America is the additional service offerings of the salon. For example, a tanning salon that operates a store would likely offer shipping services. So also, a tanning salon that offers mobile services will have to always have clients irrespective of their location.
- The Cost for Branding, Promotion, and Marketing of the Tanning Salon
The cost of branding, promoting, and marketing the tanning salon is yet another key factor that will determine the overall cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America. Trust me, if you want to get a good share of the available market in your city, then you must invest in effective branding, promotion, and marketing.
It is not cheap to come by an expert in branding, promotion, and marketing that will help you compete with brands that are already determining the market direction of the tanning salon industry in your city. So, if you add the cost of paying a branding and marketing expert, it will surely increase the cost of opening the business.
7. The Cost for Furnishing and Equipping the Tanning Salon
Another very important factor that will determine the cost of opening a tanning salon is the cost of furnishing and equipping the facility. You need to get a vertical solarium tanning bed/tanning machine/solarium device, UV lamp tubes, safes, flat-screen TVs, sound system, DVD players
Satellite dish and decoder, office furniture (table, stools, and sofas), drawers and cabinets, telephones, filing cabinets, office equipment (cash register, security and fire alarm and protection gadgets, CCTV, ventilation, signage), amongst others. All these will cost money and it will influence the overall cost of opening your tanning salon.
8. The Cost of Insurance
The cost of paying for insurance policy cover is yet another important factor that will determine the overall cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America. In the United States and countries of the world, you can’t operate a business without having some of the basic insurance policy covers that are required by the industry you want to operate from.
Thus, it is imperative to create a budget for insurance policy cover and perhaps consult an insurance broker to guide you in choosing the best and most appropriate insurance policies for your business.
9. The Cost for Registering the Business
The cost of registering the tanning salon business is yet another cost that will influence the overall cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America. Although the cost of registering a business is affordable, it will no doubt add to the overall cost of opening your tanning salon.
10. Source of Your Supplies and Ongoing Expenses
Another major factor that will determine the cost of opening a tanning salon in the United States of America is the source of your supplies such as tanning lotions, towelettes, self-tanning sticks and face serums, drops and mists, tanning mousses, and other products.
If you have direct access to the manufacturers of these products, it will sure cut down the cost of running the tanning salon as against buying from third-party suppliers.
11. Cost of Recruiting and Training Your Staff
The fact that you are opening your tanning salon as a new business means that you are expected to recruit and train your staff. The training will help you sell the corporate culture of your organization to the new employees. As expected, it will cost you money to hire expert trainers that will help you bring your new hires up to speed and that will add to the overall cost of opening the tanning salon.
12. The Cost for the Purchase and Customizing of Uniforms
Another factor that will determine the overall cost of opening a tanning salon business in the United States is the cost of the purchase and customizing of uniforms. All these uniforms will cost you money which is why they must be part of your budget.
13. The Cost for Grand Opening of the Tanning Salon
In recent times, no tanning salon opens its door for business without first organizing an opening party to officially launch the business. This means that the cost of the grand opening of a tanning salon is part of the factors that will determine the overall cost of opening your tanning salon business.
You can choose to do a soft opening if you operating on a low budget or you can go for a grand opening party. The bottom line is that it is a cost that must be part of your budget.