Body contouring is used to reshape and improve the body’s appearance. Note that this can be invasive, with liposuction and body lifts, but there are also non-invasive options that include CoolSculpting via heating and cooling that uses energy-based devices. According to reports, the body contouring market is expected to rise to $1.1 billion by 2022, registering a 9.8% CAGR during the forecast period 2017-2023.
The rising number of obese people and the growing importance of aesthetics and appearances amongst a massive section of the population is what drives the body contouring market. Aside from this, accessibility and growing awareness of cosmetic surgeries have also propelled the demand for body contouring procedures globally.
Steps on How to Start a Body Contouring Business
Table of Content
Conduct Market Research
As with any new business venture, you must do thorough research before starting a body contouring business. Check out the body contouring market in the state you live in and look at what your competition is doing. Carrying out extensive research will also help you obtain positive results from your marketing efforts.
To become an expert in body contouring, ensure you first gain knowledge and then apply that knowledge. Learn from the experts. Read their books and blogs, take their courses, listen to their podcasts, ask them questions directly, study their actions, let them coach you, etc.
a. Who Is Your Target Audience?
In this modern age, people are very aware of the health benefits of shedding weight. Most often, your target market in this line of business will fall within people over the age of 40 in both men and women. Since it is nonsurgical, body contouring can be a great option for most people. Your ideal target audiences are those who:
- Are eager to tighten sagging skin.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Are at or near their ideal weight.
- People who exercise regularly and have a healthy diet but can’t get rid of some areas with stubborn fat, such as tummy fat or back fat.
- Overall good health and a BMI of 30 or lower are characteristics of perfect candidates.
b. Is Body Contouring Business a Profitable Business?
Yes, the body contouring business is a profitable business that boasts of a high success rate. The rise in the obese population is the primary driving force of the body contouring market. Body contouring businesses also boast of low operating costs and high-profit margins, making them one of the most profitable modern businesses to start.
c. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
- Nonsurgical skin tightening
- Nonsurgical skin Resurfacing
- Cellulite treatment
- Gastric bands and injectable body contouring
d. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Alma Lasers
- Syneron Medical
- Palomar Medical Technologies
- GlobalMed Technologies
- Asclepion Laser Technologies
- Andrew TTechnologie
- BTL Industries
- Human Med
- In Mode
- Invasix Aesthetic solutions
- Wells Johnson Company
e. Are There County or State Regulations or Zoning Laws for Body Contouring Business?
Yes, in the United States you must research licensing and other regulations for body contouring businesses. Some states may not allow individuals to offer certain body contouring services without having the necessary license. However, for non-invasive body contouring, as long as you have completed the needed training, you are good to go.
f. Is There a Franchise for Body Contouring Business?
- Nativis Body Contouring: $47,738
- Elite Body Contouring: $35,000
- Physicians Weight Loss Centers: $104,643 – $182,857
- Body Works Ultra Lipo Clinic: $200,300
- Hypoxi USA: $274,150 – $708,000
g. What Do You Need to Start a Body Contouring Business?
- Market Research
- Business Plan
- Relevant Body Contouring Training
- Body Contouring Machines And Equipment
- Suitable Location
Memorable Body Contouring Business Names
- Proper Prep Contouring
- Skin Shade Spa
- Sculpture Perfect
- Tailored Skin LLC
- Prime Body Sculpting
- Love and Touch
- Shading Spa
- Body Needs
- Pure Body Treatment
- Skin Shapers
- Fresh& Firm
- Shaped Inc.
- Body Nirvana
- Body Designs
- Degree Contours
- Perfect Shape Life
- Away Skin Fat
- Ideal Skin Choice
- Shine Body Sculpting
- Body Renew
Register your Business
a. What Type of Business Structure is Best for Body Contouring Business?
Businesses are expected to be officially registered and once you choose your brand name and decide your business structure, you can get started with your business plan and financial forecasting. For a body contouring business, the LLC remains the ideal and perfect legal entity. The benefits it offers include:
- Protected assets
- Heightened credibility
- Limited compliance requirements
- Flexible management structure
- Few restrictions
b. List Steps to Form an LLC
- Choose a Name for Your LLC.
- File Articles of Organization.
- Choose a registered agent.
- Decide on member vs. manager management.
- Create an LLC operating agreement.
- Comply with other tax and regulatory requirements.
- File annual reports.
c. What Type of License is Needed to Open a Body Contouring Business?
- General Business License
- State Specific Body Contouring Licenses
- Health and Safety Permit
- Zonal Permits
- Signage Permit
- Operational State Facility Inspections
d. What Type of Certification is Needed to Open a Body Contouring Business?
- Non-Surgical Body Sculpting Certification
- Body Contouring 6-in-1 Masterclass Certification
- Electromagnetic Muscle Stimulation (EMS) Body Sculpting Certification
- Cryolipolysis (Fat Freezing) Certification
- Whole Body Vibration Therapy Body Sculpting Certification
- Vacuum Therapy 4-in-1 Masterclass Certification
- Pressotherapy Body Contouring Certification
e. What Documents are Needed to Open a Body Contouring Business?
- Federal Tax Payer’s ID
- State Permit and Building Approval
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Business License
- Business Plan
- Employment Agreement (offer letters)
- Operating Agreement for LLCs
- Insurance Policy
- Body Contouring Consultation Form
- Body Contouring Consent Form
f. Do You Need a Trademark, Copyright, or Patent?
In the United States, you may not need a patent, trademark, or copyright to protect the body contouring services you offer to clients. However, your company features a name and its own recognizable logo. Since your brand name and logo are a very vital aspect of your brand and business, applying for registration of the copyright and trademark might be necessary.
Do your Cost Analysis and Budgeting
a. How Much Does It Cost to Start a Body Contouring Business?
According to experts, start-up costs for a body contouring business will range anywhere from $150,000 to $225,000, depending on the services you wish to offer and your location. For a large-scale body contouring business, expect startup costs to range from around $350,000 to $625,000. Franchising opportunities are available, with standard fees of approximately $50,000.
b. What are the Cost Involved?
- Get educated in treatments and technologies, take Courses, and get Certified – $549
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services – $3,300.
- The total cost for hiring a business consultant including writing a business plan – $2,500.
- The total cost for the purchase of insurance coverage at a total premium – $6,400.
- The cost for renting or leasing operational office space or facility- $45,000.
- Portable Massage Table Bed – $99.95
- Ultrasound Gel, 250 ml bottles – $12.90
- Protective Eye Goggles – $12.99
- CaviWipes (Germicidal) 1 Large Bottle 160 count – $9.74
- Exam Table Paper 2 Rolls – $17.99
- Alcohol Prep Pads 200 wipes – $3.99
- Liquid Alcohol 99% 16 fl oz – $6.99
- Spray Bottle set of 3 (8 oz) – $6.65
- Other start-up expenses including commercial satellite TV subscriptions, stationery, ultrasound gel, gel warmers, Disinfectant spray, wipes, and cleaning solution – $4,700
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills and fuelling et al) – $10,000
- The cost for the purchase of storage hardware (bins, rack, and shelves) – $3,720
- The cost for office equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $3,750
- The cost of purchase and installation of CCTVs – $3, 000
- The cost of launching a website – $14/month (Wix, but GoDaddy and Squarespace are low cost too)
c. What Factors Determine the Cost of Opening a Body Contouring Business?
- Business Size
- License and Certifications
- Hiring and Paying a Business Consultant and Attorney
- Branding, Promotion, and Marketing Plans
- Supplies and Ongoing Expenses
- Cost of Recruiting and Training Your Staff
d. Do You Need to Build a Facility?
Yes, a well-built facility is very necessary when starting a body contouring business. The cost of your facility will definitely vary depending on major variables like size, square footage, union or non-union, and existing building infrastructure. You should also remember that every state and county institute has specific requirements for HVAC environmental control and conditions. Nevertheless, expect to spend around $350 to $1325 per square foot.
e. What are the Ongoing Expenses for Running a Body Contouring Business?
Budget for the following ongoing expenses when considering a body contouring business:
- Payroll, taxes, and employee benefits
- Replenishment of supplies
- Marketing supplies
- Lease, utilities, phone, and other administrative fees
- Maintenance and cleaning of equipment
- Continuing education
f. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Medical Director (Owner) – $83,185 /year
- Technicians – $65,753 /year
- Facility Nurse: $75,981/year
- Technician Assistant: $49,694 /year
- Accountants (Cashiers) – $52,000 per year
- Receptionist – $26,541 per year
g. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Body Contouring Business?
- From personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- From investors and business partners
- Selling shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan and equipment financing from your bank/banks
- Source for soft loans from your family members and friends.
Write a Business Plan
a. Executive Summary
Perfect Body Sculpture (PBS) is a new San Diego-based Aesthetics Services company that is established to provide the latest technology and the most appealing atmosphere for clients who are eager to look better and feel better. Well, renowned Doctor and Entrepreneur Mishark Craig is launching the PBS at the Fashion Valley Mall, centrally located in San Diego’s Mission Valley District. This location is a shopper’s delight owing to its 200+ stores and restaurants, and outdoor ambiance – a spot perfect for the local demographic makeup of the populace.
b. Products and Service
- Injectables, Neurotoxins, Fillers & Weight Loss Supplements
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
- BHRT (Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy)
- Sclerotherapy (Veins)
- Chemical Peels
- PDO Thread Lift
- Laser, Hair Removal & Skin Resurfacing
c. Mission Statement
At PBS, our mission is to provide well-tailored services to each client to enhance their natural beauty in an appealing and safe environment.
At PBS, our vision is to offer a vast range of aesthetic services to anyone who walks into our facility.
d. Goals and Objectives
- Align closely with well-recognized Spa and Med Spa Consultant, William Hill, CEO and founder of Topnotch Management, to assist with the actualization of our business model.
- Provide a top-notch guest experience by leveraging a team of experts who are warm and professional and will exceed guests’ expectations.
- Make available only the highest quality retail products; maintain high-quality business-to-business relations with all vendors.
- Include a membership model that represents a recurring revenue model, which helps reduce marketing costs and increase retention.
- Provide a best-in-class loyalty program to include gifts and special events. It is designed to grow retention and limit marketing costs.
- Make available an attractive referral program that will be incentivized by gifts from the loyalty program.
- Ensure we stay flexible in considering new product offerings – especially as the latest technologies and trends evolve.
- Put together a system of continuous improvement, where customer feedback is steadily monitored and adjustments are constantly made to the business model to better the business.
- Continue to offer a wide array of services, since some of the most profitable offerings can come from niche offerings.
e. Organizational Structure
- Medical Director (Owner)
- Facility Nurse
- Technician Assistant
- Accountants (Cashiers)
a. SWOT Analysis
- Suitable location
- Reliably Strong, Experienced Management/Founder
- Latest technology
- We will have to build brand equity/credibility in the market
- Adequate funding to move forward
- Newer technology to improve product quality and new service opportunities.
- Expansion into other San Diego suburbs and other California metropolitan areas
- Low-to-Moderate Barriers to Entry.
- Legislative threats that could hurt our business
- National or Global economic downturns
b. . How Do Body Contouring Businesses Make Money?
A body-contouring business makes money from clients with appointments, as well as walk-in clients, all of whom pay for body contouring and other aesthetic services.
c. Payment Options
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
d. Sales & Advertising Strategies
- Web Design
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media Management
- Lead Funnels
- Video Marketing
- Graphic Design (Print & Web)
- Content Writing & Marketing
- Pay Per Click Advertising (PPC)
- Social Media Advertising
- Reputation Management
- Local Authority Packages
- Email Marketing
- Software Development
- Content Syndication
a. How Much Should You Charge for your product/Service?
The average cost of body contouring services can vary widely depending on the experience of the technician, the type of procedure(s) used, as well as a geographic office location. The cost of any given treatment will depend on how large the area being treated is, the amount of work that needs to be done to achieve the appearance goal, and the method of treatment being used.
However, according to industry reports, the average price of a full-body lift is around $30,000. Arm surgery can cost around $8,000, while inner thighs cost about $10,000 a pair. A breast lift and upper back surgery will set you back about $15,000, and a neck and face lift would also cost around $15,000.
b. How Much Profit Do Body Contouring Business Owners Make a Year?
According to industry reports, the amount of profit a body contouring business owner can make annually will surely depend on the number of clients the business attracts, average fees charged for each client, and operating costs. Notably, owners of body contouring businesses make around $37,104 as profit annually. This simply works out to be approximately $17.84 an hour, $714/week, or $3,092/month.
c. What Factors Determine the Amount of Profit to Be Made?
- Size of business
- Number of patients or clients
- Business location
- Facility management style
- Marketing and advertising plans
- Staff and facility credibility
d. What is the Profit Margin of a Body Contouring Business?
Body contouring businesses have low operating costs and high-profit margins, and this can range from 45 percent to 62 percent.
e. What is the Sales Forecast?
At PBS, our projected cash flow shows that the Company will reach and maintain sufficient cash balances over the five years of this plan. Our projected cash flow is expected to represent the actual flow of cash in and out of our facility.
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $560,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $980,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $1,522,000
Set Up your Office
a. How Do You Choose a Perfect Location for Body Contouring Business
- At least 6-10 spas and skincare businesses within ten miles
- The population of the cities and towns in the business area should be encouraging
- Traffic patterns and accessibility from major roadways.
- The local laws and regulations in the community/state
- Traffic, parking and security et al
b. What State and City are Best to Open a Body Contouring Business?
- New York City, New York
- Los Angeles, California
- Houston, Texas
- Austin, Texas
- Las Vegas, Nevada
c. What Equipment is Needed to Operate?
- 6 in 1 40K Cavitation Machine
- Portable Massage Table Bed
- Ultrasound Gel
- Protective Eye Goggles
- CaviWipes (Germicidal)
- Velashape III Deep Tissue Therapy
- Everest Oval Single Pedestal Electric Lift Table
- Velashape III Laser
- Exam Table Paper
- Alcohol Prep Pads
- Liquid Alcohol 99%
- Spray Bottle
- Synergie Elite
- Pear 3D
- Enshey 8 in1 Anti-Aging Beauty Machine
- SmartGraft Hair Restoration
In this line of business, when you are ready to start building a staff, ensure that every team member is professional, both in appearance and attitude. Also, ensure that all your employees are properly licensed and passionate about their work.
It would also help to have an idea of how many people you need to hire. If you don’t plan to hire more people, ensure you have the skills to offer something else alongside this service. A great place to find dedicated workers is at your local cosmetology schools.
Launch the Business Proper
In this modern age, everyone wants to look their best without resorting to invasive surgery. Owing to that, the non-invasive body contouring market is witnessing such rapid growth and advances in treatment technology. Therefore, aside from hosting an opening party, properly branding your business should be one of your topmost priorities.
Also have in mind that the outward appearance of your facility, location, logo, and website are all very necessary components of the branding experience. You should also consider employing the services and expertise of a professional when developing your branding and marketing strategy.
a. What Makes a Body Contouring Business Successful?
- A loyal customer base
- Business expertise of operators
- Ability to provide a range of services for different customer markets
- Find qualified talent
- Proximity to key markets
- Gift Cards/Certificates
- Up-Sell and Link-Sell to Create an Experience
- Online Booking
- Do not over-invest in equipment and build-out
b. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Body Contouring Business?
Although body contouring businesses often boast of a relaxing environment, they also require a reasonably regimented schedule. This involves guarantying that every client receives the full benefit from each session and ensuring that the environment is kept safe and clean. In a successful body contouring business, here are a few things that will require you and your staff’s attention daily:
- Consulting with clients regarding their treatment goals
- Scheduling appointments
- Performing body contouring services
- Educating customers regarding proper aftercare
- Cleaning and maintaining all equipment
- Stocking inventory, placing orders when necessary
- Reviewing current marketing efforts, modifying strategy when necessary
- Educating staff, managing their human resources needs, and managing their schedules
- Billing, accounting, and administrative duties
c. What Skills and Experience Do You Need to Build a Body Contouring Business?
- Organization Skills
- Confidence In Decision-Making
- Skilled At Delegating Responsibilities To Staff Members
- Experience In Business Administration
- Excellent Communication and Negotiation Skills.
- Ability To Pay Attention To Details