Indeed, cosmetic dentistry remains a billion-dollar industry expected to sustain its incredible growth potential. If you are eager to start a business in a lucrative industry, then consider starting a teeth whitening business. In 2020 alone, the global teeth whitening market reached $6,140.75 million and it is expected to attain $8,207.2 million in 2026, with an expected CAGR of 4.95% over the same period.
According to experts, heightened oral hygiene awareness, increasing spending capacity of the Millennial/Gen-Z population, and easy access to OTC products are some of the key reasons propelling industry growth. When you look at the numbers, it is clear that the rising trend of the industry makes it a very profitable endeavor to consider.
And, owing to the rise in educational facilities and growing awareness of teeth whitening products in developing and under-developed nations, you can grow your business in largely untapped markets and also take up substantial market share.
Steps on How to Start a Teeth Whitening Business
Table of Content
Conduct Market Research
When looking to start a teeth whitening business, you must carry out detailed market research. Since the industry is massive, it’s quite easy to find the market saturated with businesses offering teeth whitening products and services.
Owing to that, you need to take a comprehensive look at the market to find out what it has to offer before you start your business. Take your time to learn about your competitors. What products or services do they offer? What are their pricing strategies? What sort of treatments do they offer to customers?
Note that with research of the key industry players, you can find out your USP (Unique Selling Proposition). Have it in mind that a clear USP will convince potential customers and ensure you put together precise marketing strategies for your teeth whitening business.
a. Who is the Target Audience?
According to industry reports, the Millennial and Gen-Z populations love a perfect set of white teeth. In times past, consumers focused on straightening deformed teeth, but with the entrance of ultra-HD viewing devices and superior quality print media, the color of teeth has become an utmost priority.
In the United States, reports have it that 99.7% of Americans concur that a smile is a very vital social asset. Notably, Americans spent nearly $2 billion annually to keep their teeth shining and about 80% of Americans in the 18-49 age group wanted whiter teeth.
b. Is Teeth Whitening Business a Profitable Business?
Yes, tooth whitening is a very profitable business owing to its low investment and high-profit margins. Note that you can start this business with as little as $1,500 and charge around $150 per customer. In no time, you will surely pay off your investment (basically after around 10 customers).
If you are a dentist, you might recover your investment after only a few patients. Even if you carry out just a few treatments a month, it will still be profitable for you if you run your business efficiently.
c. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
In this line of business, selecting your business model is the first step in creating a viable brand. If you are a dentist or a dental hygienist, you can think of including teeth whitening treatments in your list of services. However, here are top niches to consider;
- Teeth Whitening Clinic
- Teeth Whitening Distributor or Reseller
- Teeth Whitening Kiosk or Online Store
- Teeth Whitening Spa, Salon, or Other Location
- Teeth Whitening Product Production
- At-Home Teeth Whitening Services
- In-Office Dental Whitening Services
- Mobile Services
d. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Smile Perfected
- Beaming White
- Red Carpet Smiles
- Nutrix USA
- WSD LABS USA
e. Are There County or State Regulations or Zoning Laws for Teeth Whitening Business?
Yes. The regulations and requirements necessary to start a teeth whitening business in the United States will vary depending on your location and the niche you intend to take up. In some places, it is illegal for anyone other than a regulated dental professional to perform professional tooth whitening. Therefore, it is important you first find out if you are expected to undergo some sort of training before you start offering this service to customers.
Your location and the services you intend to offer will surely dictate the regulations you are expected to comply with. Howbeit, make sure that you have the necessary qualifications and paperwork before you start marketing your new service.
f. Is There a Franchise for Teeth Whitening Business?
- Whitening on Wheels: $59-$3,729
- SPAVIA: $353,251 – $700,820
- Ideal Image Medspa: $694,485 – $1,347,858
- Planet Beach Day Spa: $104,300 – $248,900
- Massage Retreat And Spa: $319,475 – $480,655
- Liptak IT: $60,700 to $73,400
- ATC: $134,970 – $262,170
g. What Do You Need to Start a Teeth Whitening Business?
Have it in mind that the things you need to start your teeth whitening business will most often depend on your business niche. Here are basic things to look into;
- A Viable Niche
- Reliable Supplier
- Necessary Licenses And Permits
- Proper Training
- Teeth Whitening Equipment And Supplies
2. Memorable Teeth Whitening Business Names
- Perfect Smile
- Smile Experts
- Curve and Clean
- Pure Gold
- Smile Brighter
- Snow White
- Comfortable Smile
- Pearly Whites
- Sparkling Teeth
- Forever White
- Lovely Shine
- Knight White
- Supreme White
- Bright Degree
- Radiant Whites
- Trusted Whites
- Cross and Smile
- Reliable Whitening
- Emperor’s Teeth
3. Register your Business
a. What Type of Business Structure is Best for Teeth Whitening Business?
New teeth whitening businesses in the United States are always advised to form their business as an LLC. Aside from the fact that owners are not personally liable for debts, the LLC brings together the characteristics of corporations with those of sole proprietorships or partnerships.
b. Steps to Form an LLC
- Select a Name for Your LLC.
- File Articles of Organization.
- Designate a registered agent.
- Decide on member vs. manager management.
- Put together an LLC operating agreement.
- Comply with other tax and regulatory requirements.
c. What Type of License is Needed to Open a Teeth Whitening Business?
In this line of business, the licenses you need will most often depend on your business niche and your business location. Here are a few basic licenses to consider.
- General Business License
- Zonal Permits
- Seller’s permit
- Sales tax license
- Home occupation permit
- Cosmetology or esthetician license
d. What Type of Certification is Needed to Open a Teeth Whitening Business?
Note that no certification is acquired to start this business therefore no training course is necessary. However, you may consider seeking industry-related certifications to boost your business credentials. Top certifications to consider include;
- Certified Dental Technician
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
- Fair Trade
- Diplomate in Dental Public Health
- Fair Trade
- ESCD Certification
- Certified Master Dental Aesthetics
e. What Documents are Needed to Open a Teeth Whitening Business
- Business License
- Business Plan
- Business and liability insurance
- Federal Tax Payer’s ID
- Terms and Conditions
- Refund policy
f. Do You Need a Trademark, Copyright, or Patent?
Unless you intend to formulate your own teeth whitening products, you may not have to bother with protecting your intellectual property. However, you may need to take certain precautions to protect your business logo and name.
It is also necessary that you avoid using copyrighted images or videos when marketing or advertising your teeth whitening business or products. In the United States, copyright infringement remains a serious offense and you wouldn’t want to be caught in the crossfire.
4. Do your Cost Analysis and Budgeting
a. How Much Does It Cost to Start a Teeth Whitening Business?
The cost of starting a teeth whitening business will most often depend on your business niche, the services or products you intend to offer, and how you intend to offer them. Have it in mind that starting a teeth whitening business can seem expensive and challenging, especially if you are looking to manufacture your own products.
To save on overheads, a good number of entrepreneurs also consider starting a mobile tooth whitening business or selling dental whitening solutions through their website/social media profile. However, expect to invest around $1,500 to $27,000 to start your teeth whitening business in the United States.
b. What are the Costs Involved?
- Premises – Varies widely depending on location, size.
- Teeth Whitening Startup Kits – $2,000
- Business Registration: $1,500
- Supplies – $7,500
- Insurance and Permits – $500
- Marketing – $300
- Furniture – $300
- Utilities – $3,000
- Cosmetic Dentists – $15,000 (Unless you choose to run the business yourself)
c. What Factors Determine the Cost of Opening a Teeth Whitening Business?
- Insurance Policy
- Business Registration
- Ongoing Expenses
- Branding, Promotion, and Marketing
- Business Location
- Necessary Licenses and Permits
d. Do You Need to Build a Facility?
Just as with almost everything concerned with starting a teeth whitening business, this will also depend on your business niche and available funding. If you have a more constrained budget, you may choose to start mobile teeth whitening business, an online store, or even choose to work with a dental office, a spa, or a salon to offer your teeth whitening.
But if you have adequate capital, you can rent or build your own facility. Have it in mind that getting a facility for your teeth whitening business will eat deep into your startup capital. However, if you consider it as an investment, it can pay off.
e. What are the Ongoing Expenses for Running a Teeth Whitening Business?
- Rental space if you want your own space
- Overhead costs (electric, booking software, etc.)
- Supply costs
- Advertising costs
- Any costs to maintain your equipment and team
f. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner): $59,600/ Year
- Human Resources and Admin Manager: $41,930/Year
- Cosmetic Dentist: $51,800/Year
- Nurses/Nurse’s Aides: $48,000/Year
- Accountant: $38,710/Year
- Front Desk Officer: $23,490/Year
g. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Teeth Whitening Business?
- Bank loans
- SBA-guaranteed loans
- Government grants
a. Executive Summary
Pure Gold is a licensed, registered, and insured dental consultancy clinic that will make available a vast range of dental treatment services to the people of Austin, Texas. Coupled with the necessary inventory required to cater to the varying needs of our clients, we are currently seeking additional funding to procure high- and low-speed drills,
An ultrasonic scalar (for removing prophylaxis), curing and placing instrument, dental seats, and lights, x-ray film, filling material, eye goggles, cheek retractor, tweezers, latex-free gloves, whitening systems, and cotton wool rolls; all to provide top-notch services to our clients.
b. Products and Service
- Dental treatments including gap removal, tooth whitening, tooth removal, and implants
- Dental diagnostics services
- Dental examinations & consultations services
- Dental restorative & preventive services
c. Mission Statement
Our mission at Pure Gold is to only offer the finest dental care to our clients. We will steadily strive to attract and maintain customers. We believe that when we adhere to this apothegm, every other thing will fall into place. We will always make sure that the services we offer exceed the expectations of our customers.
At Pure Gold, our vision is to become the best dental service located in Austin, Texas within the next five years of launch by providing high-quality services that will ensure we draw in and maintain customers.
d. Goals and Objectives
- A double-digit growth rate for the first three years.
- A 4% decrease in labor costs per year.
- Increase customer referrals by 7% per quarter.
- Decrease customer acquisition costs by 8% per year.
- Grow brand awareness, evidenced by an increase in unsolicited requests for services.
- Profitability by the end of year two.
e. Organizational Structure
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Cosmetic Dentist
- Nurses/Nurse’s Aides
- Front Desk Officer
a. SWOT Analysis
- Well noted skill set required for the procedures.
- Adequately trained support staff.
- A well-detailed training program
- Inconsistent cash flow for the first year while we strive to build a foundation for our dental practice.
- Lack of experience in running a business.
- The daunting task of building a brand as a start-up organization.
- Involvement in an ever-growing market.
- Increased margins as the skill of our cosmetic dentists increase and procedure times decrease.
- Probability of an increase of malpractice insurance due to individual dentists or a trend within the industry.
- Heightened competition as procedures becomes more popular.
b. How Do Teeth Whitening Businesses Make Money?
Most often, the prices charged for teeth whitening are set by the business owner or individual dentist in the facility, depending upon the business setup. However, note that each client is charged based on the goods and services they obtain.
c. Payment Options
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
d. Sales & Advertising Strategies
- Highlight Whitening Appointments at the Right Time E.g. Wedding, Birthdays, Anniversaries Etc.
- Set Up A Reminder For Each Patient/Client
- Leverage Social Media
- Highlight Your Different Whitening Options
- Advertise Your Business On Local Directory Listings
- Along With Pictures, You Can Include Patient Testimonials And Client Feedback In Your Website Or Blog To Convince Your Customers
- Use In-Office Teeth Whitening Posters, Dental Whitening Banners, Or Brochures In The Waiting Room
- Introduce Gift Cards, Especially Before The Holiday Season, So That Patients Can Gift Them To Their Loved Ones.
a. How Much Should You Charge for your Service?
One good reason to start a teeth whitening business is that it is a great business model for success. However, note that there are many whitening options available that vary in price:
- In-Office Teeth Whitening: $650 on average
- Dentist Take Home Trays: $400 on average
- At-Home Teeth Whitening Products: $100 or less
- DIY Natural Whitening Methods: $10 – $20
b. How Much Profit Do Teeth Whitening Business Owners Make a Year?
Numerous factors will influence the amount of profit a teeth whitening business owner can make in a year. By performing only four treatments per day in an office, note that Smile LAB business owners’ can make around $80,000 each year.
c. What Factors Determine the Amount of Profit to Be Made?
- Marketing and Customer Retention Strategies
- Number of Clients
d. What is the Profit Margin of a Teeth Whitening Business?
Have it in mind that this will most often depend on the price of teeth whitening services you offer, your marketing strategies, and your business location. However, expect the profit margins of your teeth whitening business to fall within 35-50%.
Although this is seen as the industry average, note there are teeth whitening businesses in the United States that offer more services and also make much more. Also note that as your skills grow and the procedure time reduces, you can charge more.
e. What is the Sales Forecast?
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $94,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $138,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $279,000
6. Set Up your Office
a. How Do You Choose a Perfect Location for Teeth Whitening Business?
- Size of the Space
- Cost of the Space
- Location-Specific Regulations
- Surrounding Businesses
- Proximity to Competitors
b. What State and City are Best to Open a Teeth Whitening Business?
- Santa Barbara, California
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- San Diego, California
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Chicago, Illinois
- New York City, New York
- Orlando, Florida
- Los Angeles, California
c. What Equipment is Needed to Operate?
To successfully start this business, you can choose to invest in a teeth whitening startup kit that comes with almost everything you need to get started, from eye goggles and cheek retractors to tweezers, latex-free gloves, whitening systems, and cotton wool rolls. Howbeit, the basic things you need to start this business include;
- Teeth Whitening Light
- Take-Home Products
- Professional Teeth Whitening Kits
- Dental Bibs & Bib Holder
- Handheld Mirror
- Reclining Chair
- Professional Tooth Shade Guide
- Protective Goggles
- Waivers & After-Care Instructions
- Certificate of Training
7. Hire Employees
Unless you decide to start this business alone, you will surely need employees, especially as your business grows. Have it in mind that the potential positions needed to be filled will include:
- Cosmetic Dentists: To carry out teeth whitening procedures on clients
- General Manager: Reviewing, scheduling, staffing, maintenance, accounting
- Marketing Lead: Social media, SEO optimization
As your business grows, you may need to hire all these positions or just a few. You may also have to hire multiple workers for a single role or a single worker for multiple roles, but this will also depend on the exact needs of your business.
8. Launch the Business Proper
As the opening day nears, you must prepare for launch by reviewing and improving some key elements of your business. Ensure you align with an experienced manufacturer; they will help you to select fast-moving inventory products.
Take your time to find out more about the seasonal demand for teeth whitening products and identify the current trends. As your opening day approaches, focus more efforts on building your brand. With authentic marketing strategies and premium teeth whitening solutions, you will be able to carve a niche in the market.
a. What Makes a Teeth Whitening Business Successful?
In this line of business, have it in mind that great results lead to referrals, and that’s the best marketing strategy to grow your business. Focus on always guaranteeing amazing results and every other thing will take care of itself. Note that to provide the best possible results, you will require products that deliver.
To make sure your procedures provide the best results, take your time to find the ideal suppliers and only buy from one that has a great reputation in the industry and hundreds of positive reviews from verified business customers.
b. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Teeth Whitening Business?
This will also depend on the services you offer and the niche you cater to. However, once your teeth whitening business has developed a steady stream of loyal clients, a good amount of your time will be spent consulting with your suppliers and ensuring that you have adequate products and inventories to cater to the varying needs of your clients.
Note that to achieve this, you will have to market your business, provide top-notch services and keep your business facility clean and professional. You may also need to spend time training staff.
c. What Skills and Experience Do You Need to Build a Teeth Whitening Business?
- Sales Skills
- Accounting Skills
- Creativity Skills
- Strategy Skills
- Customer Service Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Adaptability Skills