A bridal makeup business is a business usually set up by makeup artists to make up the bride, and her bridal train during wedding ceremonies. The global makeup market is projected to grow from $35.22 billion in 2021 to $50.28 billion in 2028 at a CAGR of 5.2 % in the forecast period, 2021-2028.
A recent report published by IBISWorld shows that the Makeup Artists industry is highly fragmented and distributed proportionally in the United States. The report stated that the Southeast held the most industrial establishments of any region, at 29.7 percent of the total. New England and the Rocky Mountains are expected to hold the least, at 4.4 percent each.
The Southeast region is expected to have 29.7 percent of industry establishments. The report further stated that States like Florida are destination wedding locations. Locations such as Disney World are very popular for weddings, which is why the number of establishments outpaces the proportion of the population located in the region.
Steps on How to Start a Bridal Makeup Business
Table of Content
Conduct Market Research
The first step in the market research process for your bridal makeup business is to develop market-based research questions in line with your overall business goal and objective.
In this regard, you should source information that will help you maximize your business, information that will tell you what your potential market will be looking out for from a bridal makeup business and also help you operate your business with less stress and build the business to profitability within the shortest time frame.
a. Who is the Target Market for Bridal Makeup Business?
- Bridal trains
- Wedding planners
- Movie producers.
b. Is Bridal Makeup Business a Profitable Business?
Yes, the bridal makeup business is very profitable. The industry has experienced remarkable growth due to stronger economic conditions.
It is normal that with an increase in disposable income, there will be an encouragement for more couples to marry, and to spend more on wedding planning or services related to their weddings. So also, increased internet usage has made bridal makeup artists more accessible to clients, decreasing the industry’s marketing costs and boosting profit margins.
c. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
No, there are no existing niches when it comes to the bridal makeup business because the bridal makeup business is a niche idea in the makeup artists industry.
d. Who are the Major Competitors?
These are some of the leading bridal makeup artists/brands in the United States of America and in the globe;
- Sir John
- Patrick Ta
- Robin Black
- Charlotte Tilbury,
- Mario Dedivanovic
- Pati Dubroff
- Pat McGrath
- Joyce Bonelli
- Mylah Morales
- Tom Pecheux
- Michael Anthony
- Vincent Oquendo
- Lottie S
- Mary Phillips
- Val Garland
- Hrush Achemyan
- Ariel Tejada
- Beau Nelson
- Kate Lee
- Pati Dubroff.
e. Are There County or State Regulations or Zoning Laws for Bridal Makeup Business?
No, there are no county or state regulations and zoning laws for bridal makeup business, but players in this industry are expected to work with the existing regulations governing such business in the county or state where their business is domiciled.
f. Is There a Franchise for Bridal Makeup Business?
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for the bridal makeup business. Here are some of them;
- Waxing The City
- The Lash Lounge
- Beauty Squares
- Seva Beauty
- Face, Brow & Beauty Bar
- Amazing Lash Studio
- Sola Salon Studios
- The Ten Spot® Beauty Bar
- Idolize Brows & Beauty
- Magic Brow®.
g. What Do You Need to Start a Bridal Makeup Business?
- A Feasibility Report
- Business and Marketing Plans
- Business Licenses and Permits
- A Good Studio facility
- EIN (Employer Identification Number)/Federal Tax ID Number.
- A Corporate Bank Account
- Startup Capital
Choose a Memorable Business Name
When looking to start a business, before you can begin to file the necessary documents with the constituted authorities or start your website, it is necessary that you come up with a name that you will be recognized with. It is essential that the name you come up with can easily be pronounced, is unique and easily memorable.
Some of the catchy business name ideas suitable for a bridal makeup business are;
Creative Bridal Makeup Business Name ideas
- Red Rose© Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc.
- Pinky Jane® Bridal Makeup Studio, LLC
- Peach & Purple© Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc.
- Shavonne Boston® Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc.
- Linda USA™ Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc.
- Brenda Benson™ Bridal Makeup Studio, LLC.
- Mary Martins© Bridal Makeup Studio, LLC
- Jonny Moore® Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc.
- Pretty Woman© Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc.
- Martins© Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc.
- Patra & Sarah® Bridal Makeup Artist Studios, LLC
- Beauty Agenda™ Bridal Makeup Artist Studios, LLC
- Prisca Wellington® Bridal Makeup Artist Studio, Inc.
- Wedding Girl™ Bridal Makeup Artist Studio, Inc.
- Shades of Beauty™ Bridal Makeup Artist, Inc.
- Brown Gal™ Bridal Makeup Artist, Inc.
- Lurie Clackson© Face Painting & Makeup Artistry, Inc.
- Angel’s Tone® Bridal Makeup Artist Studio, LLC
- Kate Henshaw™ Mobile Bridal Makeup Artist Studios, Inc.
- Queen Estee © Bridal Makeup Artist, Inc.
Register Your Business
a. What Type of Business Structure is Best for Bridal Makeup Business?
Even though there are several options when it comes to the business structure of a bridal makeup business, the one that most players in this line of business consider is an LLC. It is common to consider an LLC because providers want to protect themselves from lawsuits.
Please note that an LLC will need an EIN if it has employees or if it will be required to file any of the excise tax forms listed below.
b. Steps to Form an LLC
- Choose a Name for Your LLC.
- File Articles of Organization.
- Choose a registered agent.
- Decide on member vs. manager management.
- Create an LLC operating agreement.
- Comply with other tax and regulatory requirements.
- File annual reports.
c. What Type of License is Needed to Open a Bridal Makeup Business?
- General Business License
- Health and Safety Permit
- Reseller’s Permit
- Zonal Permits
- Signage Permit
- Operational State Facility Inspections
d. What Type of Certification is Needed to Open a Bridal Makeup Business?
You don’t need any certifications to open a bridal makeup.
e. What Documents are Needed to Open a Bridal Makeup Business?
- Business and liability insurance
- Federal Tax Payer’s ID
- State Permit and Building Approval
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Business License
- Business Plan
- Employment Agreement (offer letters)
- Operating Agreement for LLCs
- Insurance Policy
- Contract Document
- Company Bylaws
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
f. Do You Need a Trademark, Copyright, or Patent?
If you are considering starting a bridal makeup business, usually you may not have any need to file for intellectual property protection or trademark. This is because the nature of the business makes it possible for you to successfully run it without having any cause to challenge anybody in court for illegally making use of your company’s intellectual properties.
Cost Analysis and Budgeting
a. How Much Does It Cost to Start a Bridal Makeup Business?
To be truthful, the cost required to open a bridal makeup may vary significantly. But a standard bridal makeup business can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 or even more depending on the size of your studio and the number of makeup artists under your payroll.
b. What are the Costs Involved in Starting a Bridal Makeup Business?
- The total fee for registering a business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services total – $1,200.
- Marketing promotion expenses (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $80.
- The cost for hiring a business consultant (writing of business plans inclusive) – $2,500.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation, and property-casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- The cost of accounting software, CRM software, and Payroll Software – $1,500
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square foot in the total amount of – $35,600.
- The cost for studio / facility remodeling – $5,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery – $500
- Phone and utility deposits will cost – ($2,500)
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $15,000
- The cost for start-up inventory (your makeup kits and supplies) – $15,000
- Storage hardware (bins, utensil rack, shelves, glasses case) – $3,720
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $3,150
- The cost for purchasing office furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound systems, tables and chairs et al) – $8,000.
- The cost of launching an official website – $600
- The cost for our grand opening party – $3,000
- Miscellaneous – $2,500
c. What Factors Determine the Cost of Opening a Bridal Makeup Business?
- The size of the bridal makeup business
- The choice of location
- The required licenses and permits
- The type of studio facility
- The cost for branding, promotion, and marketing of the business
- The cost of furnishing and equipping the bridal makeup studio
- The cost of the insurance policy covers
- The cost of registering the business
- Source of supplies and ongoing expenses
- Cost of recruiting and training your staff
- The cost for the purchase and customizing of uniforms
- The cost for the grand opening of the bridal makeup studio
d. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
It is not compulsory to build a new studio facility for your bridal makeup business, but if you have the required finance, it will pay you to build your studio facility. The truth is that building or reconstructing a facility will help you to come up with a facility that perfectly fits your overall business goals and vision.
e. What are the Ongoing Expenses of a Bridal Makeup Business?
- Supplies (inventory expenses)
- Utility bills (internet subscriptions, phone bills, signage, and software renewal fees et al)
- Salaries of employees
f. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Studio Manager (Owner) – $45,000 Per Year
- Makeup Artists – $35,000
- Cashier (Accountant) – $29,630,000 Per Year
g. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Bridal Makeup Business
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Raising money from investors and business partners
- Sell shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Source for soft loans from your family members and friends.
Write a Business Plan
a. Executive Summary
Shavonne Boston® Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc. is a neighborhood bridal makeup studio that will be located in a fast-growing community in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We have been able to secure a two-year lease of a vacant studio facility within the city’s largest shopping mall.
The facility has an option of renewal for 5 years a rate that is favorable to us. Our bridal makeup studio is designed to meet both the health and safety standard as recommended by the local authority.
b. Products and Service
Shavonne Boston® Bridal Makeup Studio, Inc. will offer robust makeup for brides, bridal trains, and family members.
c. Mission Statement
Our mission is to establish a bridal makeup business that will provide signature makeup to our clients – giving them the unique look that they deserve on their special day.
Our vision is to become the leading bridal makeup studio- brand in the bridal makeup industry in Colorado and also to be amongst the top 10 bridal makeup brands in the United States of America.
d. Goals and Objectives
The goals and objectives of a bridal makeup studio are to engage in making up the bride, the chief bride’s maid, and her bridal train during wedding ceremonies.
e. Organizational Structure
- Shop Manager (Owner)
- Makeup Artists
- Cashier (Accountant)
a. SWOT Analysis
- Ideal location for a bridal makeup business
- Highly experienced and qualified employees (makeup artists) and management
- Access to business partners (wedding planners)
- Excellent customer testimonials.
- A wide range of makeup kits from different companies.
- Financial Constraints
- A new business that will be competing with well-established bridal makeup studios, makeup artists, and freelance bridal makeup artists.
- Inability to retain our highly experienced and qualified employees (makeup artists) longer than we want
- Increase in the number of ladies getting married
- Online market, new services, new technology, and of course the opening of new markets.
- The arrival of a new bridal makeup studio within our market space
- Unfavorable government policy and regulations.
- Steady wage expenses will reduce industry profitability.
- Economic uncertainty
- Liability problems.
b. How Do Bridal Makeups Make Money?
Bridal makeups make money by;
- Providing makeup and other related services
- Sale of makeup kits
- Training and consultations.
c. Payment Options
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
- Payment via bank draft
d. Sales & Advertising Strategies
- Introduce your bridal makeup by sending introductory letters alongside your brochure to wedding planners, socialites, celebrities, and other key stakeholders throughout the city where your bridal makeup studio is located.
- Advertise on the internet on blogs and forums, and also on social media like Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to get your message across
- Create a basic website for your business to give your business an online presence
- Directly market your products.
- Join local bridal makeup business associations for industry trends and tips
- Provide discount days for your customers
- Advertise our business in community-based newspapers, local TV and radio stations
- List your business on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Encourage the use of word-of-mouth marketing (referrals)
a. How Much Should You Charge for your Service?
There is no uniform price when it comes to the amount bridal makeup artists charge. On average, a professional bridal makeup artist can cost between $90 and $475, depending on the services you select.
b. How Much Profit Do Bridal Makeup Business Owners Make a Year?
It depends, but the salaries of Wedding Makeup Artists in the US range from $17,620 to $47,410, with a median salary of $23,660. The middle 50% of Wedding Makeup Artists make $23,660, with the top 75% making $47,410.
c. What Factors Determine the Amount of Profit to Be Made?
- The capacity of the bridal makeup business
- The class of the bride
- The location the bridal makeup business is covering
- The management style of the bridal makeup business
- The business approach of the bridal makeup business
- The advertising and marketing strategies adopted by the bridal makeup business.
- The number of years the bridal makeup studio is in business
d. What is the Profit Margin of a Bridal Makeup Business Product/Service?
The profit margin of a bridal makeup business is not fixed. It could range from 35 percent to 65 percent depending on the type of makeup kits used for the services.
e. What is the Sales Forecast?
Below is the sales forecast for a bridal makeup business. It is based on the location of the business and other factors as it relates to such startups in the United States;
- First Fiscal Year: $250,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $360,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $420,00
Set Up your Shop/Office
a. How Do You Choose a Perfect Location for Bridal Makeup Business?
- The demography of the location especially as it relates to ladies due for marriage
- The demand for makeup services in the location
- The purchasing power of businesses and residents of the location
- Accessibility of the location
- The number of bridal makeup studios, regular makeup studios, and other freelance makeup artists in the location
- The local laws and regulations in the community/state
- Traffic, parking and security et al
b. What State and City are Best to Open a Bridal Makeup Business?
- Manhattan, New York
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Montclair, New Jersey
- Brooklyn, New York
- Chicago, Illinois
- Durham, North Carolina
- Los Angeles, California
- Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Dallas, Texas
c. What Equipment is Needed to Operate a Bridal Makeup Business?
Makeup Artists Kits include the following;
- Hair clips
- Stick-on eyelashes
- Cosmetic wedges
- Makeup wipes and tissues
- Skin lotion and moisturizer
- Cotton pads
- Hand sanitizer
- First aid kit, and more.
When it comes to hiring employees for a standard bridal makeup business, you should make plans to hire a competent studio manager (owner), makeup artist, and cashier (accountant).
Launch the Business Proper
In recent times, no bridal makeup business opens its door for business without first organizing an opening party to officially launch the business. You can choose to do a soft opening party if you are operating on a low budget or you can go for a grand opening party.
The bottom line is that with a proper launching of the bridal makeup business, you will be able to officially inform people in your city that your bridal makeup business is open for business.
a. What Makes a Bridal Makeup Business Successful?
- Choose a good location and studio facility to launch the business
- Make sure your studio is well stocked with different types of makeup kits and supplies
- Be deliberate with your marketing sales approach
- Encourage the use of word of mouth to promote your bridal makeup studio
- Leverage all available online and offline platforms to promote your bridal makeup studio
b. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Bridal Makeup Business?
- The studio is open for the day’s work
- Things are properly arranged
- Walk-in customers are attended to
- Makeup artists are attached to brides during their wedding events
- The business is closed for the day.
c. What Skills and Experience Do You Need to Build a Bridal Makeup Business?
- Excellent creativity skills
- Customer services skills
- Interpersonal skill
- Accounting and bookkeeping skills
- Business management skills
- Bargaining skill
- Work experience in a makeup studio environment
- Experience in managing people
- Experience in business administration
- Experience in handling different types of makeup kits, supplies, and related products.